Sunday, March 31, 2019

How did I get here??

I am 50 and had a brain bleed two days after my birthday.  What started as a horrible headache, quickly became "the worst headache in my life" and those words usually mean aneurysm. When uttered as you check in to the ER, they contain the magic whereby you find yourself fast tracked to a room and then fast tracked to radiology for a CT scan.  It took a lumbar puncture to diagnose a brain bleed and from there I was life flighted to Harborview Medical Center.  Everything became physically and mentally calm for me once they gave me some good pain meds, enabling me to obnoxiously take a picture from the helicopter.  My week in the ICU there was marvelously uneventful as each day proved that I wasn't going to have a stroke (one of the worst areas of risk following a bleed) and that I did not have an aneurysm, and that I had no deficits following the bleed.  Things I love: nurses..... nurses fucking rock!! (Good doctors are amazing too, but nurses make it all happen.)   Warm blankets.   Warm blankets make the pain go away.  Good insurance.  It's a conflict for me because everyone should have equal access to good medicine but insurance matters and I wish it didn't.


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Port Angeles, Washington, United States
I recently moved with my family to Port Angeles... we are kind of re-inventing ourselves... I am 39 and have Cystic Fibrosis.

Blog Archive